Travel hacks for kids: What you need in your toddlers carry on!
Traveling with toddlers takes a lot of prep to ensure it goes smoothly. The last time I was on a plane I only had one 6 month old so this was a big jump! For the flight to Hawaii, each of my toddlers had their own carry-on bag. But no they did not carry it the whole time sadly lol but it is great for them to have space for their own things instead of me having all the kids stuff all together.
This was also helpful since my two youngest sat with me and the oldest sat with Dad. I packed their bags with lots of activities and snacks because with 3 kids, 3 and under, the last thing I wanted was for them to get bored on a 5-hour flight!! Here is a list full of items to add to your toddlers' carry-on bag and travel hacks for kids to make your flight a breeze!
iPads & Headphones:
You love them, you hate them! Before having kids I was so anti-screen time. Let’s just say…..things have changed. I’m not into sitting them on the couch all day with a screen but there are times when it is helpful, like a 5-hour flight for example.
Make sure to download some movies and games that don’t require WiFi and charge it the night before. But if you forget or your battery dies quickly this is the charger we have it’s also solar powered so if it runs out of battery while at the beach you can charge it up with no problem.
I have these headphones I love them because they are adjustable and the cords are super sturdy aka toddler-proof. They come in a few colors so my boy and girl can have the same headphones but in different colors!
Snacks Snacks Snacks Snacks
And more snacks:
Did I say snacks?
- Gummies: I made sure to empty the little baggies and put them into a reusable ziploc bag. I did want to hear “Can you open this” a million times on the plan this also helped reduce the trash
- Candy! Lots of Lollipops and Sponge Bob burgers. I didn’t want anything that could melt like chocolate and be a huge mess.
- These individually wrapped crepes! Great option because they make very little mess and the kids love them!!
- Scooby snacks or pirates booty !!!
- Milk carton My oldest is obsessed with chocolate milk he’s actually asking for some this very moment. The airline only had coffee, water, and soda so I am glad I brought them. I had no problems leaving San Diego but coming back they had to search out bags and even pat me down! A little embarrassing but hey my kid was happy to have his chocolate milk!!
-NEW coloring books, stickers, markers, and crayons from dollar tree and 5 below. I made sure to pack an extra set of coloring books and stickers for the return flight in my suitcase. I wanted to make sure there was still excitement on the flight back and good thing because they used the first coloring book a lot with their cousins throughout the week.
A whiteboard with a marker connected
-I found some at the dollar tree
They were allowed to choose one toy
-Try to choose one that folds up small
One thing I wish I would have brought was shorts for them when we got there. We left San Diego at 5 in the morning. I had them dressed in sweats and comfy clothes for the flight when we landed in Hawaii at 12 it was HOOOTTTT. I wish I would've taken a pair of shorts for them to change into when we landed.